Saturday, March 17, 2007

I hate St. Patrick's Day

Why does everybody have to wear green and make little cutesy leprechaun remarks and take the day off so they can get wasted?

I can't speak for the real Irish, of course. But I can speak for my own family, which is made of up Irish americans, myself being the second generation. It's not the way it's supposed to be, that's all.

I dated a Phillipino guy for a few years. We were going to dinner one night, and he wanted to try a new place in a suburb. When we got there, whe noticed a little sign sitting on the sidewalk in front of the new restaurant which depicted an asian guy with buck teeth and slanted eyes. He was offended, so we ate somewhere else. I understand.

But why in the hell is it alright to use the leprechaun or troll-like character as an American's idea of what an Irish person is?

Are all Irish people drunks? Do they all drink green beer? Come on now. But of course, just like the slanted eyed guy, the Pot O' Gold seeking leprechaun will always be around as a marketing gimmick, I guess.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain ...

St. Patricks Day is very overrated. I'm Irish myself and live in Dublin. I spent a number of years living in Canada, so I managed to grow up with values and maybe, god forbid, a little self-respect?

I hate to break it to you, but about 96% of Irish people are in fact alcoholics. It is terrible to admit it, but the stereotypes are infact true. Myself and my boyfriend go watch movies and hang out in alternative ways to propping yourself up on a bar stool until you forget your name.

Every person I used to work with could not go out and enjoy themselves without getting off their faces. It's sad, and I really pitty them. But I must reinforce the stereotypes are true. I think I've met about 5 Irish people in my entire time living here, who didn't drink like a fish. And I wish I had gotten to know them better!

Sorry to break the truth to you.

Anonymous said...

You are one sad peron, you are obviuously a sad and lonely hermit wh was bullied at school for being a dork. I'm Irish and I know a lot of people that don't drink and St Patrick's Day is certainly not just an excuse to get drunk, it's a day of national pride. America has Independence etc., and this is Our version of that.

And, I don't find leprechauns offensive whatsoever, they are important figures in Irish folklore, plus it's probably because we have a great sense of humour. We are great at taking the piss out of other ethnic groups, but we are happy to laugh at ourselves just as much!!!

So, don't hate St Patrick's Day!!

Anonymous said...

I HATE THE DAY OF IRISH DRUNKS AND IDIOTS WEARING GREEN. IN FACT...I ALSO HATE THE IRISH. ALL OF THEM!