Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sister in town. My vacation.

As usual, I've been in a terrible rush most waking moments for the past couple of weeks.

Now I'm on a short little vacation, during which I've been able to catch my breath and take stock of it all.

Good thing my sister is visiting for a few days. Otherwise I'd probably let my whole apartment stay cluttered. As it stands, I scrubbed the guest room and the main bathroom in the eight hours available to me from the time I arrived home from work until the time I had to pick her up from the airport. The rest of the place was fairly disgusting. Sister is a clean freak, so she was particularly irked by my messiness. I don't have any food in my fridge or the cupboards, so we've been surviving on coffee, one restaurant meal per day, and alcohol. Sis refuses to pay for any food, since she is my GUEST, but she has no problem buying beer and wine. I'll happily drink whatever she buys and I just pay for our restaurant meal. I have also been cleaning in the morning before we set out on our daily adventures.

As for our adventures, our main focus appears to be finding ways for Sister to spend money on herself, seeing as how she has so damned much of it. Today we trudged around one of the local malls for several hours. Sister claimed that she was absolutely determined to start dressing her age (37), but when it came right down to it, she is just as steadfast as ever about wearing junior section clothes. I had a dickens of a time trying to get her to try on anything that covered her "pooch," as she calls it. She won't wear anything that she classifies as tight. Oh, no. Because she doesn't want people to see her "pooch." I said, "I'm going to be brutally honest with you because I think you need to hear it. Ready."

Ready. Deer in headlights look with a couple blinks.... Here comes...

"You aren't hiding your 'pooch.' Everybody can see it anyway because you insist on wearing t-shirts that are too short for you."

"I hate going shopping, and just when I decide I can do it, you try to make me feel bad about myself." Sister started to tear up and get all red-faced. "I don't want you to tell me anything, I just want you to agree with me."


By the end of the day, I felt like a turncoat. But a girl's gotta do what needs to be done in order to keep the peace. She'll be here for two more days!

No comments: